Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Lifelong Learning

I think lifelong learning is essential to our well being and our success as human beings. I think that is a pursuit that sometimes seems like a daunting task. We are overwhelmed with many things that occupy our time, and the idea of constantly learning seems too big to fit into our daily lives. But I think that it can be fit in each moment of our lives. Whether you are surfing the internet at work and leaning about the going-ons in the world, or sitting in class, or chasing your children around the house, you are constantly learning. President Henry B. Eyering said, “We will have to make some hard choices of how we use our time. … But remember, you are interested in education, not just for mortal life but for eternal life. When you see that reality clearly with spiritual sight, you will put spiritual learning first and yet not slight the secular learning." I think this is true in every aspect of our lives. We are taught that putting the Lord first will result in everything else in our lives falling into place, and I believe the same goes for studying and learning. It is easy for me to stay in the library all night studying and completing assignments only to then go home to read a verse from the scriptures and pass out in my bed. I wonder how much more I would learn if I could put the pursuit of spiritual knowledge first. I also believe this ties into balance, we cannot spend all our time reading the scriptures, but we need to find that balance in our lives.
My mom went back when I was in elementary school to complete her college degree and become a teacher. She just completed her masters degree this November. She is a great example of a woman who made the most of her education. Elder Robert D Hales said, "My dear sisters, don’t ever sell yourself short as a woman or as a mother. … Do not let the world define, denigrate, or limit your feelings of lifelong learning and the values of motherhood in the home—both here mortally and in the eternal learning and benefits you give to your children and to your companion." I think my mother perfectly embodied this quote. She stayed in the home to raise us and teach us the knowledge and give us the love we needed, but still kept her journey of lifelong learning going and set a great example for her children.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations for your mother! That is a great story and what a great example she is to you and to those she knows about someone who valued education as well as being a mother. I think it would be very hard to do that and i myself know others who have gone on to do the same thing and i cannot help but feel the highest regards for them for their hard work and example. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked reading your post. You had a lot of good insight. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post! Thanks for sharing that story.

    ReplyDelete