Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Blog Post #5

Videos in the classroom are a great way to liven up your teaching. They can present material to the class in a way that is more exciting than just listening to the voice of a teacher. In science, they are especially useful because they allow the students the chance to see parts of science they could not see otherwise. I think that too much use of video is not good, a teacher who puts on Bill Nye every day is probably not teaching their students in the ways they need to. But I think video is a great supplemental teaching tool. I also think videos can be used as a reward, not only for the student but for the teacher. I also think that they help students that struggle with learning from a lecture because it gives them something visual as well as auditory to learn from. Videos also offer an opportunity to incorporate things that you cannot to in the classroom, such as dangerous experiments or traveling to Timbuktu or something like that.
I have never made a video, unless you count music videos that i recorded with my friends to our favorite songs when we were little. Learning to make one may be challenging, but I think it will be helpful for the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that using videos for teaching can be taken too far. For example, at my Junior High one of the science teachers usually just had the students watch Bill Nye or Star Wars for many of the science applications he was trying to teach. Many times video can be used to enhance, but it can distract or take away from learning if used inappropriately or too often.

    ReplyDelete